Table Of Contents
How to Relieve Sinus Pressure
Learn how to relief sinus pressure. there are many factors which result in the build up of sinus pressure in your sinuses (cavities in the skull bone around the nose) such as:
- Acute or chronic sinusitis.
- Rhinitis ( inflammation & congestion of the nasal lining mucosa).
- Any factor hinder drainage of fluids & mucus present in the nose will result in increase in sinus pressure due to stagnation and accumulation of fluids such as:
- Nasal polypi.
- Deviated nasal septum.
Symptoms of Sinus Pressure
- Make you feel a constant pain in your cheekbone (especially in case of maxillary sinusitis) ,forehead (especially in case of frontal sinusitis) or in the bridge of your nose (especially in case of ethmoidal sinusitis).
- Sinus headache ,but it should be differentiated from other types of headaches as migraine headache . this is because the treatment of the headache depends on its type.
- In addition to that ,there are the symptoms of the condition that contribute in build up of sinus pressure. such as:
- Runny nose (in case of Rhinosinusitis)
- Fever (in case of acute sinusitis)
- Swelling in your face
How to Relieve Sinus Pressure
Natural ways to relief sinus pain and pressure:
1- Using a humidifier
As humidity plays an important role in thinning out of the dry & thick mucus present in your nasal passages . this will help your mucus to move again.
2- Drink plenty of fluids
Drinking plenty of fluids can prevent your mucus from getting thickened and blocking your sinuses . drink a cup of a hot tea or soup.
3- Avoid dry & cold air
As cold air is the main predisposing factor to have common cold.
4- Salt – water irrigation
The best way to cleanse your nose and sinuses.
5- Try using a hot towel over your eyes and nose
Sit back with a hot towel over your eyes and nose can help to warm up the nasal passages and dissolve secretions.
6- Spicy food
Some studies showed that spicy food like peppers can help to ease sinus pressure ,as the active ingredient of chil peppers is effective in easing some types of pain.
A study done in Sweden proves that humming can help in keeping your sinuses clear and may help to prevent sinusitis; as humming increases both airflow through your sinuses and the level of NO (Nitric Oxide) in your sinuses.
8- keep away from sinus pressure triggers as:
A- Avoid over the counter nasal decongestant sprays ;as they make you feel better at first but later the nasal congestion and sinus pressure become much worse.
B- Avoid Alcohol ,as it can aggravate your sinus pain and pressure.
C- Avoid smoking ,as it can irritate your nasal passages making sinus pressure much worse.
D- Avoid swimming or flying when you have sinusitis.
9- Sleep in your side
Get plenty of rest and sleep on your side ,this may help in relief of your sinus pain and pressure.
Do not try to self treat if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Green or yellow mucus discharge.
- Stiff neck.
- Persistant fever.
- Persistant nausea and vomiting.
- Pain for more than 24 hrs.