Table Of Contents
How to Relieve Sinus Infection Pain
Sinus infection which is medically termed “sinusitis” occurs when your paranasal sinuses (cavities in the skull bone around the nose) become swollen and inflamed. Know More About Sinus Infection
Sinus Infection Pain Medical Treatment
1- Use Intranasal Steroid Spray:
- Try intranasal steroid sprays as fluticasone (flonase) which is available now over the counter.
- These spray are particularly helpful in sinus infection pain triggered by allergies.
- Their advantage is that these sprays have less side effects than oral decongestant & antihistamincs.
- Their disadvantage is that it take few days for the steroid to build up in your body and cause its full effect which means you will not get immediate relief of your pain.
2- Use Decongestant:
- Now, there are many over the counter decongestants which can help to reduce your sinus pain and pressure.
- You can get it in the form of nasal spray or oral medication.
- It is contraindicated in patients with high blood pressure. So, consult your doctor to make sure that decongestant will not affect your health condition.
3- Take Antihistaminics:
- Antihistaminics are useful particularly in patients with longer lasting sinus infections or people with allergies.
- They can ease nasal congestion and relieve sinus pain.
4- Get Pain Reliever:
- Try over the counter NSAIDS (non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) to ease sinus infection pressure & pain.
- For example: ibuprofen can help reduce the nasal congestion &fever and ease sinus infection pain.
Sinus Infection Pain Home Remedies:
- Use a humidifier : humidity will help keep your sinuses open and relieve the pain& pressure, try it especially when you sleep at night. you can also try sitting in a steamy bathroom after a hot shower.
- Apply a warm compress : try easing swelling and throbbing with a warm, wet towel across your forehead, eyes, and cheeks.
- Keep your head elevated : to make breathing easier, when you go to sleep at night, put a couple of pillows beneath your head.
- Drink fluids frequently : keep your body hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids (eight full glasses a day at least. the studies found that the fluids assist with drainage by thinning out your nasal mucosa and reducing the nasal inflammation that leads to sinus headache.
- Exercise : it can get your heart rate up enough to break sweat which can help clear your nasal secretions. some aerobic exercise, such as running or cycling for even 15 minutes, may make you experience some relief.
- Eat spicy foods : spicy foods such as pepper can get your nasal secretions flowing and so help to relieve the pressure in your sinuses.
- Massage your sinus areas : Apply gentle pressure using the index and middle fingers, rotating in a circular motionover your sinus areas which are the forehead (frontal sinus) and the bridge of your nose and behind your eyes (orbital sinus) as well as under the eyes (maxillary sinus).
- consult your doctor if:
- you suffer from repeated attacks.
- the condition is severe.
- you do not improve with home remedies.
** Do not miss reading also how to relieve sinus pressure.