Table Of Contents
Persistent Sore Throat
Sore throat is a common condition manifested by pain in the throat which is caused by inflammation.
If your sore throat lasts longer than three or four weeks, it means that, it means that you suffer from a persistent sore throat. So in this case you should seek medical consultation as your persistent sore throat may be a sign of a more severe medical condition.
Causes of persistent sore throat
1- Glandular fever
It is also known as infectious mononucleosis. It is a type of viral infection _caused by a virus called Epstein Barr Virus_that commonly affects young adults.
Symptoms of glandular fever:
- Severe persistant sore throat
- Swollen glands in the neck
Because It is an infectious disease, it can spread through saliva, coughs and sneezes and sharing eating utensils.
There is no specific cure for glandular fever, although there are symptomatic treatments which can help relieve the symptoms you experience.
After the first exposure to the infection, you will not get it again as your body has developed immunity against it.
This is common especially in children, although it can affect a person at any age. The condition can occur occasionally or recur frequently, The most common cause is Streptococcus bacteria.
Symptoms of tonsillitis:
- Sore throat which may be persistent in people with infection returns several times a year.
A course of antibiotics is needed. Especially If you suffer from recurring and severe episodes of tonsillitis.
Laryngitis is inflammation of your larynx . It causes a sore throat, hoarseness of voice or complete loss, These symptoms may go away within a week by resting your voice and taking remedies to ease your throat. Sometimes it can last for several weeks resulting in persistant sore throat.
Causes of laryngitis:
- overusing your voice such as singer, teacher…
- viral infection
It is important to understand what has caused your laryngitis as the treatment depends upon the underlying cause.
Throat cancer can affect any part of the components of your throat. It is a rare type of cancer.
Signs of throat cancer:
- A persistent sore throat can be a sign of the problem.
- The feeling of lump in the neck or throat, may also be an indication of throat cancer.
Smoking increases the risk of getting throat cancer due to the direct irritation of your throat by the toxins found in the cigarette (as well as other types of cancer), as does excessive alcohol consumption.
Treatment of persistent sore throat
The treatment depends upon the underlying medical condition which cause it.
- In case of glandular fever, your doctor may recommend any antiviral therapy for you.
- In case of tonsillitis, your doctor may recommend removal of your tonsils especially if your tonsillitis is severe and recurring.
How to symptomatically relieve persistent sore throat
Natural remedies to relieve sore throat
1- Slippery elm:
It is a mucus-like substance that can coat and soothe your sore throat.
2- Salt water:
According to the University of Connecticut, gargling with warm salt water can help ease a sore throat and It can also help kill bacteria in the throat.
The studies have shown that it is an effective wound healer, So it may help speed healing for sore throats.
4- Marshmallow root:
Like slippery elm, it contains a mucus-like substance that coats and soothes a sore throat.
- It may help thin mucus and calm sore throats and coughs as it contains menthol.
- According to 2008 study, peppermint contains anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antiviral properties which may encourage healing.