Table Of Contents
How to Cure Sore Throat
Sore Throat refers to painful inflammation of mucous membranes lining the pharynx . It is most common during winter months as upper respiratory infection are more frequent during winter . Now We Will Show You How to Cure Sore Throat in the following Article .
Sore Throat Symptoms & Signs
- Dry Throat .
- Difficulty in swallowing food and liquids .
- Tonsils are swollen & red .
- White patches & pus on the tonsils .
- Hoarseness of voice .
Causes of Sore Throat
- Viral infections : 90% – 95% It is the most common cause of Sore Throat , it is caused by cold or flu virus .
- Bacterial Infection : 5% – 10% the most common bacterial Sore Throat is caused by group A streptococcal infection .
- Environmental Factors : people of all ages can develop Sore Throat but the risk of sore throat increase in some case as :
- Cigarette smoking as smoking irritates the Throat causing Persistent Sore Throat .
- Children (school age ) .
- Allergy people with allergies to mold, pet dander, pollen, or other irritants . these allergens leads to accumulation of excess mucus in the back of the Throat , this accumulated mucus can irritate the Throat causing pain & inflammation .
- People with compromised immune system .
How to Cure Sore Throat
1. Life Style Changes :
- Stop smoking ,using other tobacco products and avoid secondhand smoke .
- Wash your hands frequently .
- Avoid close contact with sick people.
- Avoid sharing food or drinking glasses .
- Cough or sneezeinto a tissue
- Use a cool-air humidifier which help to eliminate dry air that may further irritate a Sore Throat .
2. Natural Remedies :
Help to soothe the pain of Sore Throat :
- Gargle With Warm Salt Water : salts primary function is to drain water, which in turn shrinks the swollen cell and relief the pain. It also helps wash away the excess mucous and allows your stuffy nose.
- Licorice Root : as it has anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties which help to reduce swelling and irritation of the mucus membranes. Also, recent research shows that it is effective if mixed with water to create a gargle solution.
- Baking Soda : as it has antibacterial properties, which could help to kill off the germs camping out in your Throat.
- Honey : common household remedy. Also, studies have founded that it is an effective wound healer, as it may help speed healing for sore Throats.
- Peppermint : as it has methanol which help thin mucus and soothe sore Throat & cough . Also, A 2008 Study stated that anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antiviral properties, which may help encourage healing.
Before using any herbal Remedies you should check this first with your doctor , as they may not be safe for pregnant women , children and people with certain health conditions.
3. Medical Treatment :
- A Sore Throat which resulted from a viral infection usually lasts for few days (5-7 days) and doesn’t require medical treatment . during this period , acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) or other mild pain relievers can be used to ease pain and fever .
- In case of bacterial infection , even if the symptoms have disappeared ,you must complete the course of antibiotics as prescribed . Failure to take all the medications as directed can result in worsening of the infection or spreading to other parts of the body , as in case of children infections , incomplete course of antibiotics can increase a risk of rheumatic fever or serious kidney inflammation.
- If Sore Throat is a symptom of condition other than a bacterial or viral Infection , other treatments will likely be estimated depending on the cause .